Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Heebee Post #1084 - Ex Postal Facto - Exhibition Opening - San Francisco Center For The Book Feb.14 (Part #1)

Folks, there is hardly anything in our lives that can take our mind off all our worries - The three day Ex Postal Facto (XPF) event in San Francisco last week was one of those mental liberators. And glorious it was to behold old and new artist friends reveling in the wild abandon of Philatelics, Artist Books, and Mail Art - as well as stickers, buttons, handshakes, hugs and smiles! As you can tell from above, Anna Banana is certainly having fun.
Here is a snap I took during the opening evening Friday night at the S.F. Center For the Book and I really must say, this was no tranquil stoic affair! The robust din from the elated crowd was quite infectious and everyone seemed to be having a grand time of it all. The exhibition was wonderfully displayed and we all enjoyed ourselves immensely.



Hundreds of pieces Postal Art really had a marvelous splendor and the Center for the book was packed to capacity with the curious and the cavalier, ready and willing to have a great deal of fun




The best part of the wonderful affair was actually meeting Mail Art friends that you have become fond of through postal exchanging. Among many, this beautiful, mysteriously eternal looking large stamp seen below was created by the very likable and highly creative Bethany Lee of PoeticPaperPost. All the way from Florida!


Here's a peek at a postcard I made for the incredible show. I had made about 125 magnets of  the Barbary Coast goddess, "Pacifica", commemorating the XPF having been in San Francisco. I hope they will remain on everybody's Fridges and file cabinets long after the show's too quick in coming, ending.  If anyone would like one of the colorful 2" x 3" magnetic commemoratives, I do have a few here in the studio. Just ask!

Among the distinctive notables in the excited crowd was Dame Mailarta adorned in her regal fashioned Mail delivery outfit. When it comes down to finery, none are as capable of "Putting on the Dog" like her. Always a delight to catch up with the talented artist. (From Victoria, BC, Canada)

I had been wanting to meet Stan Askew (from Pomona, California) for a long while - we've exchanged so much art for years, it felt as if meeting an old, dear friend. The pleasure was mine Stan! He is seen here with his lucky arm around the spectacular XPF show's "Hostess with the Mostess", Jennie Hinchcliff. What a gal! Thanks for everything Jennie and also your loyal team for 3 days of uninhibited fun for everybody.  In the following days, I shall be adding to this XPF reporting - there is much to tell. See ya in the mail everybody! EX Postal Facto Official Site.

5 comments:

  1. These magnets you speak of...I collect magnets, and if you have any left, would love to add yours to my collection! Thank you kindly for the mention and posting about my entry to mail/art/book (but, goodness golly jeepers, what an awful photo of me!). What should I expect when I was running around SF like a crazy lady for 3 days? :) So great to meet you in person. Wish we had more time to chat! I, too, am an admirer of Stan Askew and I had no idea he attended until I was reading up on Ex Postal Facto blog posts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to meet you too, Test Tower -- and thank you for all that stamping that you did in the passports. Looked great. No kidding-- XPF was a good way to forget "real life" and think about mail art and generally have too much fun. I hope Jennie will do it again one day when she recovers from this one.....I loved meeting Stan Askew too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi B.Lee, I'll be sending you a magnet directly - and regarding the photo, I think you're adorable! I would like to leave it there but, if you insist, I can, reluctantly, take it down. Let it not be said that I don't have a heart! And Pam, our meeting was all too brief - sorry about that, it was so chaotic - the kind of pandemonium we like! I hope we can get another chance to chat. I am down in SF from time to time - ya never know! Thanks for your kind remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great seeing you at XPF. Your XPF stamps and cancellation were big hits among many. And thanks for taking some great photos of the event.
    ~ Jack @ Cascadia Artpost

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jack, Yes, I sure was having fun hangin' out with you. More photos to come. I kind of wanted to show off some individual wizardry encountered there (including you , old boy!).

    ReplyDelete