Monday, October 20, 2014

Heebee Post #1127 - Stan Askew - Pasadena, California - USA

Often introduced as - "A man who can't make up his mind whether he would rather be fishin' or playin' music" - also, aiding in his eternal popularity, was his early demise, at the height of his career (1923-New Year's Day 1953 - 29 years old). Yes folks, and please remove your hat when I say the name: Hank Williams!  Looking resplendent in cowboy hat, guitar and western outfit, singing in full glory - and residing under one of my favorite words "Bingo" - After all, how many words are there that guarantee something good is happening!  What does puzzle me is that the die shown is not enough to make the sum of eight; which Stan uses as a symbol of eternity, more than it's look alike numerical presence.  Ah well, nice card and I just can't say enough regarding Ol' Hank wonderful countrified songs. Check one out "Hank Williams Sr. song".  





This Askew ID tag I found on the reverse side of his large, sturdy decorated envelope, seen later - lower below.

 Stan also added two gorgeous, linen era postcards for my increasing in size and beauty, collection of such superb relics. The first of two mint condition publications is this depiction of  the enormous "Interior of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Boston, Mass" circa 1936 - 1944. The magnificence of this palatial, stadium-like structure is breathtaking, although some may cite it is not without a high degree of ostentation included in the architecture.  The printing techniques of the day are astounding - This beauty published by United Art Co, Boston Mass - and I am, as always, delighted to have it enhance my collection.
 The second of the two cards depicts the simple yet glorious home for a pair (that's how I shall always consider them) of entertainers that are loved by Heebee Jeebeeland.  Mr. and Mrs. George Burns  Mrs Burns being, of course, the famously light hearted and enigmatic Gracie Allen" (1895 - 1964). The beautiful card color printing is with the C.T. Colortone process - circa 1940. Although George lived on for decaeds after the love of his life passed sorrowfully away in 1964 - George managed his career on to become a huge movie star and remained active until his demise in 1996 - He was 100 years old!

Gracie Allen:  "Smartness runs in my family. When I went to school I was so smart my teacher was in my class for five years."
George Burns: "Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth."

The large envelope that Stan stuffed all the goodies in! Thank you Mr. Askew - I do realize I have at least two more from you that I haven't posted yet. Not gone, not forgotten - Moving up into the mountainous terrain of of the Cascades and setting up shop, proved to be tougher than I had anticipated. Aw well, I'm good to go now so, let's see what happens from here. Thanks my dear friend and I just sent you something in the mail as well - enjoy! Enjoy some of Stan's other work. Photo Askew

No comments:

Post a Comment